Friday, May 14, 2010

Visions of things to come (or, why I long for summer)

Despite the fact that I'm completely burned out on school, and this felt like the longest week ever, and I'm still getting over yet another cold in a string of seemingly constant illness this year, it is the smallest things on days like this that remind me of the amazing blessings in my life.

As I was getting ready to leave for work this morning and the kids came running up from the family room to give me hugs and kisses, Hannah proceeded to tell me that she had been "snuggling her brother with his blue blanket." Turns out he had asked to climb up and sit next to her in the comfy chair while they were watching Sesame Street and instead of sending him away with an insistent, "Noooo, Noah!" (which happens frequently) she let him climb up next to her and they cuddled up together and happily shared a few minutes of closeness.

When I got home from school Hayes and the kids were out playing in the beautiful sunshine. We were only a few minutes into a game of follow the leader (Hannah was the leader) when she noticed that the first of my roses had bloomed. We then spent the next few minutes making the rounds, smelling every single flower that is in bloom-- roses, delphinium, catmint, pansies, sweet woodruff, and vinca-- whether they are fragrant or not. Then we talked about all the others that (hopefully) will bloom soon-- clematis, sweet peas, nasturtiums, peonies, dahlias, hydrangea and many, many more roses.

Finally, after we enjoyed our dinner, we called Papa and Grandma and asked if they wanted to go get a special treat with us on the most beautiful, warmest day of the year. We all piled in the minivan and headed to the nearest Dairy Queen. I'm pretty sure there isn't a better reminder of what is truly important in life than a precious kiddo laughing and enjoying an ice cream cone.

No comments: