Monday, July 13, 2009

Another amazing trait they inherited from their father...


I can admit it. I'm kind of a food separator. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those semi-extremists who can never have any food co-mingling, or the ultra-extremists who require separate plates for each individual item. I can deal with gravy on my meat, potatoes and cooked vegetables. However, if I had some salad or fruit on the plate, they would need to remain gravy free for my enjoyment. And, frankly, I firmly believe that syrup was only intended for pancakes, waffles, french toast and the like, not meat products-- ever.

My husband, on the other hand, is much more laid back and adventurous by nature. And this fully extends into the realm of his plate. It has been obvious for some time that our children are much more like their dad in this respect. Of this, I am glad. I hope they refrain from many of my more fussy tendencies. They may stumble upon amazing flavors and adventures that would never occur to me. In fact, just last week Hannah seemed to sincerely be enjoying her Granny Smith apple dipped into mustard. And Noah, too, will dip any food into ranch dressing.

I was just reminded of this wonderful trait again at lunch today. The kiddos were happily slurping their tomato soup, fishing for goldfish crackers amidst the thickish red goodness. Then, just as Hannah picked up her last slippery slice of kiwi it slipped through her sweet little fingers and plopped directly into her soup bowl. That would have been the end of it for me. I would probably not have finished the kiwi or the soup at that point. But, without a thought or a grimace, she reached in, grabbed the kiwi coated in tomato and cheddar goldfish crumbs and downed it. Then, she turned and asked for some more. What a champ. Just like her dad.

1 comment:

my4kids said...

Hey Courtney,

I too would not have been able to finish the kiwi or the soup. Kelly will mix just about everything into a pile on his plate and eat it all together. Me? Certain things can touch but I eat all of each item before starting with the next and have a tendancy to pick things out of meals like casaroles. There's more I am kind of a weird eater, oh well. My kids are also more like there dad they don't mind things mixing.