Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Go West

Amid the record setting heat of this week, creativity in cooling has become a priority. I've never had to deal with such successive days of scorching heat with little ones. One or two days in the 90s, sure. But multiple days breaking into the 100s and no real cooling at night? As a native Oregonian this is sort of like Bizzaro world. So, seeing the forecast and contemplating two cranky toddlers (and, to be honest , mommy too) I decided to get serious and make a plan.

Tuesday morning we ventured out early to Peninsula Park (in North Portland) and the kids had a great time playing on the multiple play structures in the brief hours of cool, then after a picnic lunch they splashed and ran and laughed in the watery portion of the playground. We headed home just in time for naps and the thermometer reaching 90, and spent the hottest portion of the day indoors.

But, I know myself. Two days and two nights with no real cool down is apparently my limit. I needed reprieve, albeit temporary, so I asked Hayes to play hooky from skate camp on Wednesday and come to the beach for the day. I can't think of the last idea I had that was this good. Despite a bit of a rocky start (my kids are not really good car travelers sometimes), once we got to the coast I knew it would be gloriously refreshing. We ran, we played in the sand, we got our feet wet, we flew a kite, we forgot to put sunscreen on Noah's ears (oops!) and Hayes' legs (oops again!) but even a mild sunburn was worth the relief I think. We made it home just in time for a bubble bath and bed. We knew our limit and heeded the call West-- our own little manifest destiny.


No comments: